We who love love, always flood floods. On May 2nd 2019 the Ottawa river peaked in a flood that beat records set in the last major flood in the spring of 2017. Accordingly, SH, PP, JA and L of the Ottawa surrealist group assembled at the flooded zone on Britannia beach and continued our tradition of flood investigations (see here for some intimations of what was discovered in 2017). Wandering the waterline, we dreamed collectively at the strange formations and detritus we found at our feet.
- The detection of a flood astronomy—the reversion of ground to sky and the flooded concordances with well known stars and constellations (sagitarius, cancer, gemini, the dog star…)
- Flood erotica—an orgy of sandbags, condoms, heaps of ooze, the live copulation of a pair of gulls
- The methodological nivellation of different species of golems; the creation of slime and shrubs and gulls, as low level homunculi; that white sandbags might be brought to life as gulls
- The discovery of the grey lantern and indications of a visit from the Hermit card, Arcanum 9
- A visitation from a pink shark, heretofore unseen in the Ottawa river
- A puzzling witch trial for heretical trees indicated by heaps of wood for a burning at the stake
- Paranoiac driftwood, including a burnt foot, a Lovecraftian entity, an eagle, and a few formless masses of exquisite beauty
Each ripple constricts and squeezes out a duck. Brambleberg and soggy bones, and the whole scene a whisper that says the reflection is all wrong.
As the grey lantern cast its rays of anti-light it rained and melted the eyeless golems of the cloud homunculus.
Call me Ishmael, afloat on a melted jellyfish, I sing of snows sent to Grecian graves that never see a seagull’s handwriting.
I lost the way to the footbridge of shadow.
My own cause is swept up in lightning’s gloss river.
A goose demon howls for myopia’s end.